Sloane & Sons Mattress Buying Guide
At Sloane & Sons we understand the importance of a good mattress. At the most fundamental level, a good mattress equals a good sleep, which equals better health. It might sound obvious but you'd be amazed at just how damaging the health effects are of poor sleep. (Don't take our word for it - here's what the NHS has to say.)
Buying a new mattress is a brilliant step towards a great night's sleep. But which mattress should you buy? We want to make sure you make an informed choice, so do please read on. If you still have questions, we would be very happy to speak to you on the phone or via email - don't hesitate to get in touch.
Our primary message is: don't compromise on quality. Being uncompromising doesn't have to cost the earth though - we keep out prices as reasonable as possible but always keep our standards sky high. With our mattresses lasting up to 10 years so, they are a small price to pay for the comfort, relaxation and better health you'll have as a result 365 days a year.
Sloane & Sons specialise in the two most popular type of bed mattress: memory foam and pocket sprung. We know that many retailers, both online and on the high street, offer thousands of choices but there really is no need. It ends up as confusing rather than helpful. We feel that by having a smaller, more focused range of high quality products, this allows you to choose more easily based on things like size, comfort, firmness, price and type of mattress.
|Bed Mattress Type||Bed Mattress Size (cm)||Bed Mattress Size (feet / inches)|
|Single||Width 90cm x Length 190cm||Width 3'0" x Length 6'3"|
|Small Double||Width 122cm x Length 190cm||Width 4'0" x Length 6'3"|
|Double||Width 135cm x Length 190cm||Width 4'6" x Length 6'3"|
|King Size||Width 153cm x Length 200cm||Width 5'0" x Length 6'6"|
|Super King Size||Width 183cm x Length 200cm||Width 6'0" x Length 6'6"|
Memory Foam Mattresses
Memory foam was developed initially by NASA as a material that would absorb great pressure from astronauts' bodies as they re-entered the earth's atmosphere. Today, this technology makes wonderful mattresses as it can relieve stress and pressure points on your body as you relax into the supple embrace of the memory foam.
- Memory foam moulds as your body heats up and softens the core around you
- This allows both support as you lie still but also natural and free movement during sleep
- Alignments of the spine (horizontally) ensures correct posture
- Memory foam has hypo-allergenic and anti-microbial properties
Memory foam is ideal for people experiencing joint pain and for people who suffer from allergies. Many people without these issues also enjoy the feeling of warmth, support and comfort that memory foam provides.
Pocket Sprung Mattresses
Pocket sprung mattresses are the most common and popular type of mattress in the marketplace. They differ significantly from cheaper alternatives such as bonnel spring or open sprung bed mattresses, which we believe are less comfortable, less supportive and not as good value for money in the long term.
The reason is that pocket sprung mattresses compartmentalise each individual spring in order to evenly distribute the weight and respond to the different pressure points and weights of your body.
- Ideal if you and your partner differ in height and weight. They will evenly distribute the pressure within the mattress and prevent you from rolling into one another
- Sloane and Sons mattresses have approximately 1200 individual pocket springs per mattress that are individually housed and this is the benchmark for high level craftsmanship
- Each 'pocket' works independently from another, to evenly distribute weight
- This style of mattress allows a good airflow around the body, keeping your comfortable through the night and refreshed in the morning
All Sloane & Sons mattresses have hand-stitched sides and piped edges that underline the quality of design and craftsmanship.